Running Injury Prevention
A Go-To Guide for Running Related Injury Prevention
- Start with a pre-season screen examination.
- Wear proper fitting socks and shoes to prevent blisters and to prevent irritation.
- Wear orthotic inserts if diagnosed with flat feet and other feet problems.
- Communicate with your injury prevention team or doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment of any existing injury.
- Run in well-lit areas (e.g., schools, public streets).
- Hydrate before and after running.
- Avoid distractions while running including wearing headphones or running in high traffic areas.
- Running through pain can make the problem worse.
- Consider current levels of fitness to develop sound running strategies.
- Consistently discuss the goals of the running program with your institution.